Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Food Farm San Diego

While doing some research on-line this week I came across this video for Food Farm. Food Farm is a San Diego Food Truck that specializes in local, organic, and sustainable food. They launched this April and are serving up good, clean food to the streets of San Diego.The owners are husband and wife Dave & Kari Rich. Kari Rich is the executive Chef of Food Farm and began her career with a degree and training at Le Cordon Bleu California. Most of her background in cooking is in fine dining which for sure brings her up a notch in the food truck industry. I met her this past Tuesday and she is as sweet and personable as can be.
I followed the Food Farm truck to their Tuesday night location at the San Diego Velodrome which I didn't even know existed. They are there from 7-9pm during the bike race. I got there a little after 7:00 before the rush.

All of Food Farm's sources are from local farms and ranches that practice organic and sustainable methods. The food is beyond fresh and just delicious. You can check out the full menu here.White Cucumber Salad
Lemon Vin, Bell Peppers, Feta Cheese, Walnuts, & Olive Oil
The white cucumbers picked that morning from Suzie's Farm were so crispy and had a mild taste to them. I just loved them. You could really taste how fresh the lettuce was too. The dressing was super light and enhanced the flavors of the vegetables in the salad.
Grass-Fed Beef Sliders
Mustard Carmelized Onions, Blue Cheese, Sweet Buns, Arugula
I loved the mustard carmelized onions. This burger had no sauce and it really didn't need it with the flavor of mustard coming from the onions. I think I would like to see a burger on the menu rather then sliders though. Something about Grass-Fed Burger just sounds better to me then sliders. Maybe I just secretly wanted to taste more of it?
Avocado Melt
Whole Wheat Bread, Swiss Cheese, Arugula Pesto, added Bacon.
Okay this was the winner of the evening for me. I could of had 2 of them all to myself it was so good. Adding bacon was the way to go thanks to Chef Kari's recommendation. The cheese was gooey but not greasy, the avocado was rich and creamy, the bacon was lean, and the arugula pesto was bursting with flavor. Loved.


Sweet Coconut Milk & RiceNow this is a Mexican style dessert known as Arrzo con Coco. This dessert is totally gluten free and Chef Kari was kind enough to share with me what is exactly in this heavenly bowl of love. They cook short grain white rice in water with a little bit of salt until tender. They add coconut milk, agave nectar, brown sugar, cinnamon, toasted coconut shreds and cook to a creamy consistency. If you like rice pudding you will love this dessert. It is not too sweet and such a treat. Kari's husband and partner calls it "life changing" and sneaks a cup every time he works the food truck.


Oh did I mention the total bill was $13.50. Say What? The only thing I think should be added to the menu is the mention of the farms from where products came from. Would be cool to know.


You can check out Food Farm's calendar here to learn their whereabouts around San Diego. You can also contact them and have them come to your business or cater your next event.

I don't know how I am going to be able to stay away from this food truck...but yet I don't need to stay away. Its good, clean, local food that is good for me and the environment. I will follow Food Farm where ever their wheels go.
















No comments:

Post a Comment