Sunday, February 27, 2011

Like A Vegan

Starving for the very first time. No way I will be starving! I have spent this whole weekend focused on the task at hand. I have researched, prepped and prepared for my one week Like A Vegan Challenge inspired by the Oprah Vegan Challenge I saw on TV a few weeks ago. You can check out the article here. I know I am total sucker, but this show really inspired me to do something different about my diet. It inspired me to become a more conscious shopper and know where the meat I buy is coming from. It also is going to give me some what of a break from eating the same things and is going to force me to use different ingredients, HEALTHY ingredients, learn some new recipes, and try different products. I am so bored with the normal food I am always eating and I need a change. I hope I can last one week meat and dairy free. It is going to be a challenge for me and hopefully it will change me for the better.

Grocery shopping was interesting. It took me about an hour to check out products but researching items ahead of time and getting tips from friends was key!

Right now my refrigerator is stocked with vegetables & fruits, tofu, almond milk, Earth balance butter (a natural buttery spread), Vegenaise (mayo substitute), vegan cheese which I am little nervous to try, hummus, Ezekiel Bread which is a flourless 7 sprouted grain bread, and Tofutti non dairy ice cream sandwiches to fill that sweet tooth. In my pantry I have tons of canned beans, lentils, quinoa, brown rice, quinoa linguine pasta, Ezekial Sprouted Whole Grain Cereal, nuts and dried fruit. I have most of my meals planned out, recipes within arms reach, and what I have noticed is you can almost make any recipe vegan with just substituting items. I also have a couple vegan restaurants to try in the San Diego area which I am excited to check out.

Day 1: Monday February 28, 2011

Breakfast - a toasted piece of Ezekiel Bread with avocado

Snacks – fruits, nuts, veggies

Lunch – Tofu Spring Rolls made with rice paper and filled with veggies and peanut dipping sauce.

Dinner – Lentil Vegetable Soup

I have never made Lentil Soup before and Lentils are extremely healthy. I made a huge pot which will probably last me till mid week. Perfect for some lunches and I can always freeze it too.

It is so delicious and healthy.

Lentil Vegetable Soup

Ingredients

1 pound French green lentils

2 large onions chopped

4 cups chopped leeks, white part only (2 leeks)

1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)

1/4 cup good olive oil, plus additional for drizzling on top

1 tablespoon kosher salt

1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried

1 teaspoon ground cumin

3 cups medium-diced celery (8 stalks)

3 cups medium-diced carrots (4 to 6 carrots)

3 quarts vegetable stock

1/4 cup tomato paste

2 tablespoons red wine

nocoupons

Directions

In a large bowl, cover the lentils with boiling water and allow to sit for 15 minutes. Drain.

In a large stockpot on medium heat, sauté the onions, leeks, and garlic with the olive oil, salt, pepper, thyme, and cumin for 20 minutes, until the vegetables are translucent and very tender. Add the celery and carrots and sauté for 10 more minutes. Add the stock, tomato paste, wine and lentils. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 1 hour, until the lentils are cooked through. Serve hot and enjoy.

Click here for the Vegan Start Up Kit and get healthy like a vegan.

No comments:

Post a Comment