Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Fastest Way To Win Someones Heart

Another Valentines Day is approaching and some of you might be excited about it and some of you may not be so excited. I used to think this holiday was one that would make or break any relationship I was in. The day was so important to me. Today I feel differently. When I think of Valentines Day today I think of the over priced prefixed menus at restaurants and the reservations that have to be made weeks in advance. The over priced roses that die the next day, the Russell Stover heart shaped boxes filled with chocolate, and teddy bears. I hate teddy bears. I mean all this crap is supposed to tell me how much you love me? How can one pick a gift that will possibly display their absolute love and devotion for someone? That gift is priceless. V-day causes stress on relationships and really just leaves people being disappointed. Showing your love for someone should be expressed every day of the year not just one day of the year right? One day should not make or break a relationship. I bet there are more fights on Valentines day and less love making...just saying!

I know what you are thinking. Cupid aimed for my heart but missed right? Believe it or not I like Valentines Day but the significance of this holiday has changed to me this year. Its just not the most important day to celebrate your relationship with the one you love. Everyday is.

My mother’s birthday is on Valentines Day so growing up I always shared Valentines Day with her and my boyfriends. This year I am all hers and I am happy about it. Valentines Day has always been my mom’s day whether I am single or not.Celebrate this Valentines Day with the one you love the most but this year go to dinner the night before when you can actually choose any affordable item on the menu, when there will be parking, less crowds, and less women dressed in red. Buy your Valentine flowers & heart shaped boxes with chocolates on any other day of the year to show your love. I promise it will mean more to them then getting flowers on Valentines Day when it’s predictable and expected. I think one of the most thoughtful gestures is to cook for someone. Don't they say the fastest way to someones heart is through the belly? So this Valentines Day stay in with a nice bottle of wine and cook for the one you love. Valentines Day should be simple and with that in mind I think a simple Spaghetti with Meatballs recipe is appropriate.I promise this kind gesture will express much love, appreciation and devotion to the one you love the most. Also this spaghetti & meatballs is pretty tasty!

Simple Spaghetti with Meatballs

Simple Tomato Sauce:

½ cup olive oil

1 small onion, chopped

2 cloves garlic, chopped

1 carrot, chopped

Salt & pepper

2 32 ounce cans crushed tomatoes

1 can tomato paste

2 dried bay leaves

4 tablespoons unsalted butter (optional)

In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion & garlic and sauté until soft and translucent, about 5-10 minutes. Add celery and carrots and season with salt & pepper. Sauté until all the vegetables are soft, about 5-10 minutes.

Add tomatoes and bay leaves and simmer uncovered on low heat for 1 hour or until thick.

Remove bay leaves and add tomato sauce to a food processor in small amounts at a time. Process until smooth.

Add the sauce back to the pot and if the sauce tastes acidic add unsalted butter, 1 tablespoon at a time to round out the flavors.

Simple Meatballs:

1 pound ground sirloin

¼ pound pork or veal

½ cup Parmesan cheese

½ cup bread crumbs

2 eggs

1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley

Mix all the ingredients with your hands well and make into round balls the size of golf balls. It should make 20 small meatballs. Or you can make larger ones if you prefer. Add the meatballs to the sauce and simmer on low heat for 1 hour or until cooked through. Boil spaghetti until done and top with meatballs and sauce. I would buy fresh made pasta from an Italian deli, it only takes a couple minutes to cook, and it just taste better.…do it for the celebration of your relationship on Valentines Day.

I hope you have a Happy Valentines Day and you get to share it with someone you care about. Happy 60th Valentine Birthday to my mom Shellie. And remember mom, just the other day our dentist thought you were my sister! I am so lucky you are always going to be my Valentine that I get to shower with gifts and love, on this year and every year…xoWin someones heart today. xoxo


1 comment: