Wednesday, March 3, 2010

One Hot Chick!


I did it! I fabricated (cut-up) my first chicken. It might not sound like a big deal but it is much harder then you think. At school we have the luxury of the chicken being all cleaned up for us (minus giblets) but the one I bought in the store came with a big surprise. Giblets! Not the prettiest thing I have ever seen. Also when we fabricate chickens at school I have other classmates and the teacher to help me when I have questions. Tonight I was on my own! That is where the anxiety began! Fabricating a chicken is not such a pretty sight but once I got past that I was smooth cutting. It takes a lot of technique to fabricate a chicken correctly. You want to make sure not to waste any of the meat and you have to make all the cuts (with a boning knife) in the right spots. So you are probably saying to yourself "why don't you buy a chicken already cut up?" For one reason it's less expensive to do it yourself and the main reason is this is just the start for all the other cuts I will learn in my culinary class! Chicken Supreme (not talking about McDonald's), Airline Breast, and how to bone a leg & thigh! Oh My!
The fun started once I was done fabricating my chicken. I made a recipe I learned in class and I would like to share it with you. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! If you are not up to fabricating your own chicken just buy a couple cut up chickens and make this recipe. If you would like to try to cut up your own chicken check out how to do it here. Either way this recipe will not disappoint!
Chef Joe's Grilled Chicken with Jalapeno Lime Compound Butter


Serves 8
Ingredients
2 whole chickens cut up skin on
Rub
salt- 2 T; black pepper 1/2 tsp; granulated garlic 2 T; paprika 1 tsp
Butter Compound
butter, softened 1/2 #; red onions minced 4 T; garlic minced 1 T; Sambal Oelek Chili Paste (Asian section); jalapeno minced (leave seeds for more of a kick) 1 T; limes, juiced 2 ea.; Worcestershire sauce 1 T; Italian parsley minced 1 T; salt & pepper to taste
Mix rub together and rub all over chicken. Let sit on chicken for 15 minutes. Grill chicken on barbecue covered over medium heat about 10-12 minutes on each side.
Mix all ingredients of butter compound together with wooden spoon. Put mixture in a large bowl and when chicken is done put chicken in the bowl immediately. Mix with tongs so butter compound melts and coats the chicken. Serve hot and make sure to get some fresh peasant style bread to soak up that butter! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment