Friday, December 30, 2011

What Are You Doing New Years Eve?

What a year! It was filled with friends, family, new babies, new lessons, changes, and laughter. Loved ones were lost and new loves were found. All and all I feel like 2011 treated me well, my goals were met and I exceeded my expectations of myself which has left me with a great new confidence as I head into 2012. New actions plans are in place and I am ready to conquer with excitement! Bring it on 2012. I am ready for you.

What are you doing New Years Eve? If you are looking for a meal to celebrate the accomplishments of 2011 and the richeness of life then I have the perfect meal for you. I had the pleasure of learning how to make it on Christmas and was taught to me by Carmen Assenti of Assenti Pasta in Little Italy. The best pasta shop in town!
Crab & Lobster Lasagna with Béchamel Sauce
It is so delicious and the perfect meal to ring in the New Year with. Nothing like a rich elaborate meal for New Years Eve. It's something wouldn't make or eat all the time which really makes you feel like you are celebrating.
Ingredients
Bechamel Sauce
1 stick of unsalted butter
1/2 cup and 2 table spoons of flour
4 cups of milk
salt & pepper to taste
ground nutmeg to taste
Lasagna
4 fresh sheets of lasagna pasta
4 cups of fresh spinach chiffonade cut
2 cups of fresh whole milk ricotta cheese
1 egg
2 cloves of garlic
2 lobster tails (steamed and partially uncooked)
2 cups fresh crab meat
2 cups fresh mozzarella cheese
2 cups fresh Parmesan cheese
Now for the Directions
Organization is key. Prepare all of your ingredients and set up your Mise En Place.
Preheat over to 350 degreesMake sure to have all your lasagna sheets cut to size to fit in the pan perfectly. You can always patch things up if mistakes are made so save the extra scraps.Make the bechamel sauce first. Melt butter in a pot over medium-low heat. Once melted add flour whisking constantly till a thick golden roux is formed. Slowly poor in milk constantly whisking. You want to whisk until the sauce is thick and coats the back of a spoon. It can take up to 20 minutes. Add salt, pepper, and nutmeg to taste. Set aside to cool.Lightly beat the egg and add the minced garlic to it.Fold in ricotta cheese to the egg mixture and season with salt and pepper. Set aside. This ricotta cheese is sweet and goes perfect with seafood. Good to enough to eat by itself. Yep...I tried that. Chiffonade fresh spinach. Best way to do this is to roll a bunch together then thinly slice. Set aside.Dice up lobster and set aside in bowl. Place crab in a bowl as well. Once everything is lined up start building your lasagna.Boil lasagna sheets one at a time till al dente. About 2 minutes. Set in a cold bowl of cold water to cool so you can work with it. Lay it down in the bottom of a greased baking dish. Then add a thin layer of ricotta mixture. Next layer crab, lobster, Then add the spinach and drizzle bechamel sauce in rows. Make sure to get it in the corners. Sprinkle a little Parmesan and mozzarella cheese. You don't want too much cheese.Then start the process all over again with another sheet of lasagna. You should end with one sheet of lasagna on top and top that last sheet with bechamel sauce. Cover it with saran wrap and then foil and bake for 45 minutes. If you have left over bechamel sauce you can poor some more over the top when done.Set aside to cool and then cut and enjoy!I hope you have a Happy New Year filled with all the richness that life has to offer.

I leave you in 2011 with a little tune. It is such cute video and love Zooey's voice. It made me really excited to spend my first NYE with him. I can't wait for 2012.
Happy New Year!



1 comment:

  1. Looks delicious. But you took every shot except the one I wanted most... the layers of the lasagna plated in all their glory!

    ReplyDelete