Tuesday, January 4, 2011

O BO-Beau, BO-Beau!

Wherefore Art Thou BO-Beau? That is what I find myself saying after dining at the newly romanticized BO-Beau last Tuesday night with my dear friend Saul. It's the newest addition to the Cohn Restaurant Group. BO-Beau, which is located in Ocean Beach takes over the space that was formally known as the 42 year old restaurant Thee Bungalow. The once grandma-house-style restaurant has been transformed into a masterpiece. Not an ounce left of the 1969 french restaurant Thee Bungalow, except the old menu's framed in the restrooms.
I can't believe the transformation that has taken place and the revamped restaurant screams, Vintage, Rustic, Romantic, Warm, and French. What an amazing job was done on the decor that was designed by the man behind Bleu Boheme, Philippe Beltran. Beltran fronted BO's with French Colonial gates from mid-17th century Egypt and filled it with antique farm tools, wine barrels from a Spanish estate, and added a fire placed pizza oven patio.
Lyrics to a french love song written throughout the restaurant in french and frames near the lyrics translating the song in English.
We'll fly away from the same pier, our eyes showing the same reflections, for in this life and the one after, you will be my sole purpose.
(See? screams romantic!)
The restaurant was packed for a Tuesday night and has only been open a couple weeks. The Bar (yes they put in a bar!) didn't have a seat open. The drink menu looked so good. It was a Tuesday night and a couple days after New Years Eve so I am laying off the alcohol but I plan to go back and try: Le Romantique - belvedere black raspberry + pomegranate-rose petal nectar + champagne + a rose petal.
Ooh, La, La!!!
Not just is the decor amazing but the food is spectacular too. BO's is rustic style bistro french food at its best. Rightly so as the Executive Chef, Katherine Humphus graduated from Le Cordon Bleu in Paris France. French food is what she does best and she does it superb!
The menu which you can see here consists of Appetizers & Boards, Woodstone Oven Flat Bread, Soups & Salads, Moules & Frites, Pasta's such as Housemade Fettuccini with Duck Confit, Roasted Mushrooms and Parmesan Reduction, and some french Bistro Classics such as Boeuf Bourguignon & Steak Frites.
The first thing we had was the house bread. I believe it was ciabatta. It is a rustic peasant style bread with lots of holes in it. Soft on the inside and super crusty on the outside. Why am I writing about the bread? Well it was damn good and I loved how the bread came served in a brown paper bag with soft butter on the side. So different then the normal boring bread basket. Loved it!We started with the Caesar Salad - Crisp Romaine, Soft Boiled Egg, Ciabatta Croutons, and Shaved Parmesan. I loved this salad. The dressing was perfect. A little tangy and just enough of it to not over power the salad. I loved the soft boiled egg on the side which added some richness to the dish. A great combination of flavors.We then had the Billi Bi - Cream of Mussel Soup and Tarragon Dumpling. It was rich and creamy with a few plump mussels. The tarragon dumpling was crispy on the outside and soft in the inside. So many different textures and this soup is decadent. We ordered a side of the mac n cheese. I really can't pass that up when its on a menu.
Leek "Foundue" Mac N Cheese with Cheddar Gratinee. You really can't go wrong with mac n cheese and BO-Beau's mac n cheese is really good. I did think it could be a little creamier and cheesier. It seemed a little dry. Still very good and I love how crispy the top was.We also tasted the Braised Short Rib Woodstone Oven Flat Bread topped with Braised Short Rib, Horseradish Smashed Potatoes and Chives. I love this flat bread. I have never had short rib on a pizza before and I love short ribs, pizza and smashed potatoes with horseradish. Together they are delicious. What an amazing creation!
We also tasted (by this time we were so full so tasted would be the appropriate word) the Moules A La Moutarde. Mussels with Whole Grain Mustard, Fresh Herbs and Frites. I really liked the mustard broth the mussels were in. Much better then a boring white wine broth. You could really taste and see the mustard seeds. Loved it!The Frites were awesome. Again served in a brown paper bag. I love this rustic touch. Keeps things casual and fun. That is what french food needs to be in order to get people to go back. For that matter to even get people to step in. BO-Beau does just that. You will go and you will be back!
If we hadn't consumed enough food, Chef Katherine brought out the best dish for us to try and I saved it for last.
This is a must if you go to BO-Beau. Crispy Brussel Sprouts sprinkled with Pancetta, Parmesan and Balsamic. I love brussel sprouts and these are divine. The outside leaves were so crispy and that is exactly how I love my brussel sprouts. The flavors of the pancetta, parmesan and balsamic jazz these bad boys up to the highest degree.
I love how they were served scattered on a wood plank and inside this rustic jar. A favorite for sure!The staff and service at BO-Beau was impeccable. The prices are fantastic too. The most expensive entree is $19.00. Portions are generous but not too large, and can definitely be shared.
I said it once and I will say it again. French food that is fun? BO-Beau does just that.
Finally!
BO-Beau
4996 west point loma boulevard san diego ca. 92107
619-224-2884

6 comments:

  1. I've been dying to get out there ever since a friend posted a pic of the brussels sprouts on facebook! Everything you guys ordered looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to go! I loved it. You should go by Friday and take advantage of the anniversary special they have going on. $20.11 for a 3 course meal! Great deal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! It all looks delicious! I will be looking forward to you taking me here sister!
    xo
    Missy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the recommendation Marci! Our dinner was awesome, service was great and the price was good. I was seriously ready to go back for dinner again a few days later. We have recommended Bo Beau to a bunch of people. Best Cohn restaurant yet by far

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh...just wanted to follow up on this place. I went the night you posted this blog...and it was deeeelicious! Great find!
    xo
    Missy

    ReplyDelete