Monday, September 27, 2010

Strawberry Swing

This post is inspired by the Coldplay song Strawberry Swing. As I was listening to it yesterday it made me think I have not had strawberries in a while. With summer nearly over (but really just beginning on the west coast) I better go out and pick up some strawberries fast while they are still in season. So that is what I did! To my surprise the strawberries at Henry's Market were incredible. It's like they knew I was coming for them!
I am not big on sweets but one of my favorite things for dessert is strawberries with a reduced balsamic vinegar over vanilla bean ice cream. You simply take balsamic vinegar and cook it on the stove in pot until it becomes thick like syrup. Then you top the vanilla bean ice cream with strawberries and poor the vinegar on top. The flavors together are amazing. You can even top with candied walnuts. YUM! Unfortunately the meal I needed to eat was lunch. So with dessert in-mind. I made a salad.
Strawberry
Goat Cheese Walnut Salad with Walnut Balsamic VinaigretteSalad
Baby Romaine Lettuce
Strawberries - cut up
Goat Cheese Crumbles

Walnuts

Dressing (serves 1-2)

4 tbl spoons Walnut Oil (or olive oil if preferred)

1 tbl spoon Balsamic Vinegar
1 tbl spoon dijon mustard
salt & pepper to taste
Poor the oil slowly and whisk into the mustard and vinegar till thick.

Toss the lettuce, strawberries & walnuts with the dressing and top with Goat Cheese.
Don't forget to listen to Coldplay's Strawberry Swing while you are making this salad and it will be such a perfect day. Have a good start to your week. xx



No comments:

Post a Comment