Monday, August 9, 2010

SOHO is So So

I am not talking about SOHO in NYC. I am talking about the new restaurant in North Park. If you have a big name like SOHO it better be fantastic & packed with people but I'm sorry to say it was not. SOHO Restaurant & Lounge has only been open for 4 months so I gave it the benefit of the doubt thinking no one knows about this place but these days if the food is good its packed regardless of how long a restaurant has been open for. I was hoping for another amazing restaurant to grace residents of North Park but to my disappointment this was not the case. Don't get me wrong. The food was okay and prices reasonable, but it didn't blow me away or anyone else I dined with. I think what this placed lacked is ambiance. I didn't really understand the whole concept and was confused when I walked in. It looked like a Sammy's Wood Fire Pizza with some cool art work on the walls. I tend to get lost in SOHO in NY but the SOHO of SD is a little lost itself. The food is Southern & Latin but not the best Southern or Latin food I have had. I think the food lacked flavor. The kind of flavor which both cuisines should be oozing. It was missing the kind of flavor that makes you say "Wow! What was that?" Instead I said. "I can make this at home". Not so good.
Small Plates
Chicken Mole Poblano - smashed plantains, chicken & mole sauce
Wood Fired Piquillo Peppers - stuffed with goat cheese, roasted garlic & toast points. This was not bad. Basically you spread the roasted garlic on the toast and top it with the pepper.
Wood fire Mussels - caramelized leeks, chorizo, flat bread - The flat bread dipped in the broth the mussels were in was very good.
Braised Meyers Beef Short Rib - smoked tomato, spinach, goat cheese tamale, Peruvian cherry salsa. - The meat was good and tender but the tamale was HUGE! It took over and so did the cornmeal surrounding the block of goat cheese. I was super excited about ordering it but not so excited eating it.
Fresh Atlantic Salmon - wood fire blackened shrimp, smoked tomato quinoa, braised leek jalapeno honey vinaigrette. This dish was good and if you are looking to eat healthy then this is the dish for you.
Cilantro Pesto Chicken Pizza - blend of mexican cheeses, tomato, onion, mozzarella

The staff was very nice and knowledgeable about the menu but unfortunately what gets me into a restaurant again is more then just that.
SOHO Restaurant and Lounge
3025 el cajon blvd. san diego ca. 92104
619-764-5475


No comments:

Post a Comment